C-A glue for pin blocks

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 May 1999 04:47:49 EDT

Paul S. Larudee, RPT writes:

<< Sounds like the idea is not to address the looseness of the entire hole,
just to create a little more friction, mainly where the pin exits the
block.  Is that right?>>

No.  -  I didn't think to mention it, but I use very thin, water thin,  "low
viscosity" glue. I figure that it does capillary to a good portion of the
length of the pin if you put enough on. The experiments that I did with gap
filling and high viscosity glue showed they did little good.

<<My thought was that I would need the glue to
penetrate as deep and saturate the wood as much as possible.>>

I agree.

<<  From what you're saying it sounds like that might be overkill and would
create too
strong a bond.  Or would it be appropriate as long not too much is used?>>

I think you would be shooting in the dark if you tried to guestimate how
little to use. I would favor overtreating rather than undertreating.  I doubt
that you will get too strong of a bond on pins that are so loose that they
need to be treated. In treating a whole piano with loose pins, some are going
to be tighter than others. I did have one grand on which the breakaway torque
(after treatment) on a number of the pins was over 130 inch pounds. I found
that slight pin tapping nicely broke the pins loose and the torque was 60-80
in/lbs.  Since I did not dissect the piano, I don't know if the pins
separated from the glue, or some wood fibers pulled out, or whatever.  I do
know that it is beautiful to tune and has remained so.

Months ago someone on this list mentioned that they had snapped a pin off
after treatment. I would like to thank them for mentioning that.  I have kept
it in mind. They also recommended treating, waiting until fully cured, then
tapping a bit before tuning. I agree with that method. ( for just one pin,
knock it flat to breakaway, then tune.

Good luck

Bill Simon
Phoenix