CA accelerator misting of pinblock?

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 May 1999 04:47:44 EDT

Joe Goss wrote;

<<You do not need to use activator if you are able to come back the next day
to tune.>>

I would have thought so also, but in our dry environment in Phoenix it ain't
necessarily so. Here, if you put a large puddle of CA glue on glass, say
about the size of a half or silver dollar, 24 hours later it will likely be
totally liquid in the center, with just the edges of the puddle cured. Put a
tiny bit of accelerator on it and two minutes later the whole thing is cured
solid.

I did a horrible grand once, very heavily treated with some brown pin
tightener that left a heavy sticky residue around the pins. I treated the
piano heavily with CA glue, and the stuff was still liquid the next day. (
perhaps there was some interfering chemical reaction) I did not know of
accelerators back then, other than water.  Consequently, now when I treat the
whole piano now, I go back and at the base of each pin I put a microscopic
drop of the accelerator, using a 1 cc insulin syringe with a #25 needle,
which is incredibly tiny, and makes very tiny drops.  Across the whole piano
I use only one or two cc's of accelerator.   You can see the CA glue cure
solid and wrinkle a bit.

Joe Goss said; <<When using the activator as a spray, try to protect the bass
strings by
shielding them with an old newspaper  or anything handy, held in your hand
and moving it along as you spray.>>

BIG QUESTION - Is it a good idea to spray the stuff over the pins, coils,
plate, etc???? According to the Material Safety Data sheets I have, most
accelerators are just Dichlorofluoroethane. It is 100% volatile, rather
rapidly at that, and if it doesn't hurt the plate, finish, strings,etc, -
then why not mist it on?  I have been too cautious to do so, but I would like
to hear of any other's experience and any problems in doing so.

Thanks,

Bill Simon
Phoenix