The teacher's piano

Marvin McDonald pianomarv@earthlink.net
Sun, 09 May 1999 05:17:53 -0700

Tom Cole wrote:

> Tony Caught wrote:
> >

> > The real shame is that manufacturers don't make an upright piano that
> > has an action that gives the same responses as a grand piano's action.
> >

> Actually, such a piano action exists. It was developed by Del Fandrich
> and Chris Trevellas and, blindfolded, you could not tell that it wasn't
> a grand.
>
> Unfortunately, having a great idea and $2.50 might get you a latte in
> some places. The manufacturers were not interested in being pianeers
> with someone else's brainchild and so we may never see the upright take
> such an evolutionary leap. Unless a _manufacturer_ develops the idea.
>
> Tom
> --
> Thomas A. Cole, RPT
> Santa Cruz, CA
> mailto:tcole@cruzio.com

Tom & List,
The action was actually developed by Darrell Fandrich and Chris Trevellas
and I'm sure that Del had some input. Del enginerred and designed the
Fandrich Piano.  These gentlemen have actually created a spot for
themselves in "Musical & Instrumental History".  I do not understand all of
the ramifications as to why the Fandrich piano is no longer built but its a
shame that it isn't.  The piano action was as good as any Renner grand
action you've ever seen as far as speed of recovery and control.  Del had
designed the piano so that it worked amazingly well with the lightest set
of hammers I've ever heard of.  I can't remember the exact weight of the
hammers but it seems it was 3 lbs ( Being a stubby Texan I might be
exaggerating a bit).  They were also unlaquered and produced an excellent
tone. Del also designed the piano so that the back looked like a piece of
sculptured art.  This way you could display the back of the piano, where
all of the sound comes from, to the audience.  BTW  George Harris of Beatle
fame purchased one of the early Fandrich Pianos.

------Marvin McDonald