CA glue - adverse effects / liability issue?

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sun, 9 May 1999 07:55:10 EDT

Thomas Carpenter writes;

<<I`m thinking of trying the CA application.
....if applying 1/2 to 1 oz. won`t the odor by overwhelming?
....How long will it linger?
....Will it be unsafe to inhale for a time?>>

I have a lot of experience with, and interest in,  the above questions.

Experience A
---- I treated a grand with CA glue, tapped the pins, pitch raised, tuned,
was there for 4 hours. Twelve hours later I easily could have gone to the
hospital, but I thought I had just gotten a severe case of the Flu. My eyes
were tearing, my nose was running, I was uncontrollably coughing, my lungs
were burning, and I had trouble breathing. I was knocked flat for two full
days, and canceled three days of work.

Experience B
----I did an internet search regarding CA glues, and got into some medical
databases and the Material Safety Data sheets (MSDS) for the  chemicals which
comprise the CA glue. These are ethyl cyanoacrylate (95-100%),  and
hydroquinones (0-1%). Amongst other hazards, the MSDS’s say “vapor highly
irritating to eyes and mucus membranes above 0.2 ppm exposure. Prolonged and
repeated overexposure to vapors may produce symptoms of non-allergic asthma
in sensitive individuals.” AND - lucky us, you can become sensitized to the
chemicals after repeated overexposure!  ( I understand that the “odorless”
stuff is just as bad, just a different ester, but I am not sure of this.)

Experience C
----I tipped an upright and treated it, windows open, big fan blowing across
block, me wearing new organic vapor canisters in mask. Treated it as fast as
I could, 10 minutes, stood it up and left. Didn’t take the mask off until
outside. I was knocked flat for a day, same symptoms as in experience A
above.

Experience D
----13 days later (the people went on vacation) I returned to this upright
and pitch raised and tuned it  normally, without a mask.  House and piano had
been closed up. Later I felt mild respiratory symptoms for several hours.
Proving that I  personally am highly allergic,  or sensitive, to the stuff.

BIG QUESTION --- So what happens if you treat a piano and run like a chicken
thief away from the fuming chemicals in the piano? - The customer doesn’t!
This upright’s owners, a couple in their 70’s, were frail. Where does it
leave me, or them, if 6 hours after I leave they call the paramedics because
one of them is in respiratory distress? Do they sue? Am I negligent? Am I
liable?

They sell CA glue in tiny little bottles and tubes, as it is normally used as
a spot here, a dab there.  Now, out of the blue, tuners are pouring ounces of
the stuff into pianos and the piano sits there fuming off for days! Piano
technicians, once the height of innocuous people, are in people’s homes
acting like toxic waste dumpers!

MY SOLUTION?
The CA treatment is so darn effective, I would really hate to stop using it.

- I have a small oil-less air compressor that can feed outside air through
30 foot of tubing directly into my mask. Good for me, useless to the
customer. (not used yet)

- I just bought 30 feet of 2” swimming pool vacuum cleaning hose, so that I
might set a shop vac outside and suck air from a flimsy plastic sheet or
cardboard hood which I can set up over the pinblock.  (not used yet)  I like
this approach because if accelerator is used, the “fuming” should be of short
duration, and the fumes are evacuated from the house, reducing my exposure,
the customers exposure,  and my liability.

- Move it out! Bring the piano to my shop, treat it with a huge airflow,
protecting myself, then days later work on it and move it back, and charge
the customer for the ride.  About zero  possibility of adversely affecting
the customer or me.

HAS ANYONE ON THIS LIST NOTICED OR HEARD ABOUT ANY NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES TO
THE HEALTH OF THE CUSTOMER OR TECHNICIAN from doing CA treatments? If so, I
would really like to hear about it.

So, Mr. Carpenter, you asked good questions.  I will watch for the feedback
of others.

Sincerely,

Bill  Simon
Phoenix