Grading System

atonal@telusplanet.net atonal@telusplanet.net
Sun, 9 May 1999 14:53:47 -0600

>  One of the suppliers I buy these thingees from uses the following system:
> A+
> A grade
<snip>

Jim,

	So the grading system is from purveyors of used instruments?
The reason I'm curious is that a competing piano dealer/ technician
is advertising his products as A grade pianos, and customers ask
us what 'grade' our instruments are. When questioned, the
customers admit that they don't know where this fellow is getting
his grading system from, and the only one I'm aware of is the
category definitions for new instruments in Larry Fine's 'Piano
Book'.

Also, this tech currently buys 'grey market' instruments and
markets them, so the grading system from wholesalers makes
sense in this context.

As you noted, the whole system of grading instruments is fairly
subjective, especially regarding used instruments.

Thanks for your reply,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Atonal Piano Service
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/atonal/