Rendering, et al

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 May 1999 09:46:42 EDT

In a message dated 5/09/1999 10:07:39 PM, Ron wrote:

<<"This seems like a good place to ask, since it hasn't come up for discussion
before. I'd like to know anyone's procedure and tolerances for installing
agraffes, if you wouldn't mind.">>

Ron;
 Don't know if it is "right" but what I do is:
1. Remove the old agraffe, or shank :-)
2. Clean the threads of the hole with an old bore brush and alcohol/naptha.
3. Measure the old agraffe from plate bearing surface to top of string holes.
4. Compare measurements of 'old' and 'new' agraffes.
5. Adjust with shims/filing/grinding, the new agraffe measurement to match
the old.
6. Install the new agraffe and check for string level, adjust as needful.

note: I like for my agraffe to wind up level with, but just shy of "square
with the string at the "firm turn" level.  Then when I 'tighten' the agraffe
it will be square. I don't/won't really 'crank' down on my agraffe for
tightness. I also like to turn the agraffe in the 'tightening' direction' to
get it square and am philosophically oppose to turning it in the loosening
direction to square it up..........no reason for that, just 'seems' the
correct method for me.
Jim Bryant (FL)