CA glue - adverse effects / liability issue?

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 13:39:40 -0400

Jon Page wrote:

> I'd rather repin than all this work / hazard.
>
> Jon Page
>
> At 07:55 AM 5/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Thomas Carpenter writes;
> >
> ><<I`m thinking of trying the CA application.
> >....if applying 1/2 to 1 oz. won`t the odor by overwhelming?
> >....How long will it linger?
> >....Will it be unsafe to inhale for a time?>>
> >

> >I have a lot of experience with, and interest in,  the above questions.
> >
> >Experience A
> >---- I treated a grand with CA glue, tapped the pins, pitch raised, tuned,
> >was there for 4 hours. Twelve hours later I easily could have gone to the
> >hospital, but I thought I had just gotten a severe case of the Flu. My eyes
> >were tearing, my nose was running, I was uncontrollably coughing, my lungs
> >were burning, and I had trouble breathing. I was knocked flat for two full
> >days, and canceled three days of work.
> >
> >Experience B
> >----I did an internet search regarding CA glues, and got into some medical
> >databases and the Material Safety Data sheets (MSDS) for the  chemicals
> which
> >comprise the CA glue. These are ethyl cyanoacrylate (95-100%),  and
> >hydroquinones (0-1%). Amongst other hazards, the MSDS’s say “vapor highly
> >irritating to eyes and mucus membranes above 0.2 ppm exposure. Prolonged and
> >repeated overexposure to vapors may produce symptoms of non-allergic asthma
> >in sensitive individuals.” AND - lucky us, you can become sensitized to the
> >chemicals after repeated overexposure!  ( I understand that the “odorless”
> >stuff is just as bad, just a different ester, but I am not sure of this.)
> >
> >Experience C
> >----I tipped an upright and treated it, windows open, big fan blowing across
> >block, me wearing new organic vapor canisters in mask. Treated it as fast as
> >I could, 10 minutes, stood it up and left. Didn’t take the mask off until
> >outside. I was knocked flat for a day, same symptoms as in experience A
> >above.
> >
> >Experience D
> >----13 days later (the people went on vacation) I returned to this upright
> >and pitch raised and tuned it  normally, without a mask.  House and piano
> had
> >been closed up. Later I felt mild respiratory symptoms for several hours.
> >Proving that I  personally am highly allergic,  or sensitive, to the stuff.
> >
> >BIG QUESTION --- So what happens if you treat a piano and run like a chicken
> >thief away from the fuming chemicals in the piano? - The customer doesn’t!
> >This upright’s owners, a couple in their 70’s, were frail. Where does it
> >leave me, or them, if 6 hours after I leave they call the paramedics because
> >one of them is in respiratory distress? Do they sue? Am I negligent? Am I
> >liable?
> >
> >They sell CA glue in tiny little bottles and tubes, as it is normally used
> as
> [...]

Come on folks...open windows (even in the winter!!), place a large fan
in window pointing OUTWARD, and turn it on. Leave the fan running after
you leave to keep the air clear. A smaller fan next to the piano would
help when you are doing the work. Tell the customer to keep the fans
running all night.

Limit the number of windows that are open to create maximum air flow
past the piano.  I always try to arrange the setup so I'm in the middle
of the air flow between windows.

Yes, this stuff is not 100% safe, but you gotta use your head and a big
fan.

Also, tell customer before you start, that house needs to be ventilated
as much as possible.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild