C-A glue for pin blocks

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:52:59 -0400

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Frank,
> At 13:42 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Jon Page wrote:
> >>
> >> After a generous dose of CA to firm-up the pins, has anyone tried to
> remove the plate?
>

> >I use this method on old clunkers, only.  I am just trying to buy some
> time before replacement becomes necesarry.  You won't see me use this on a
> quality piano.
>
> Well, I'll find out soon.  I nursed a Steinway B through the school year
> (I'll tune tomorrow for final recital on it Wednesday). Sometime soon after
> that I'll be bringing it home to rebuild.
>
> I put far less than an ounce in it to keep selected pins tight. (i.e. NOT a
> blanket soaking.)
>
> I wouldn't expect a problem, even if I had liberally doused it. As I
> recall, a good glue joint depends on clean surfaces.  I haven't seen a
> pinblock yet that would qualify, what with fitting chalk and years of dust
> unimpeded by any plate bushings.
>
> Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician    mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
> Luther College                          (319)-387-1204
> Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
>
> "Far too noisy, my dear Mozart.  Far too many notes."
>  - Emperor Ferdinand of Austria 1.5.1786

Conrad, I treated one grand with this method. It was beat up!  Most of
the glue ran between the block and plate and came out the back.  It
helped some, but not great.

On verticals, it works great.

When I do this job, I use 1-3 oz depending on the piano.

Yeah...it will be interesting to see how this affects rebuilding.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild