Too much glue talk, what ever happened to reaming and re-pinning.?

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:59:52 -0400

Fixurpiano@AOL.COM wrote:

>   This to me seems like the equivalent of the old Radiator STOP-LEAK stuff
> that eventually makes a mess and is not a real fix.  C/A seems fine , if you
> are up to NO.7 pins, with no where to go.  I dont hear much talk about the
> fill-the-hole-with-epoxy-and redrill-technique either.  some thoughts from ,
> Steve Williams, MN

Steve, I charge about $150 for this fix, including the glue. New tuning
pins would take lots more time thus cost lots more...about $400 or so.

CA glue is used on clunkers, pianos that are in bad shape. Most techs
here would not use this method on the decent piano.

I have some pianos I fixed with CA that are going strong after 4 or 5
years.  Both are over 50 yrs old!! The tuning pins move nicely and are
tight. They are not quality pianos and may not be worth the $150 repair,
but it kept the painos going. I can't believe that the owners would sink
$400 into these crates, knowing their financial situations at the time.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild