Ralph Allison

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:06:40 -0500

List:
	Ralph Allison is a piano, British, a "birdcage-sort-of" which has the
dampers above the hammers, but the whole damper mechanism comes off as a
unit, making the tuning actually rather simple.  It has only two strings
per note. It has the old flat kind of tuning pin heads (I purchased the
tip for such from Schaff, and it was WAY too large, so the customer
silver-soldered the tip after flattening it with a hammer, so that it
would at least sort of work).  The jack is attached to the key. There are
no whippens, no backchecks, but there is a long "sticker" which is
attached to the hammer butt by a leather piece.  I believe the weight of
the sticker holds the hammer in the "check" position by maximizing the
bounce from the hammer, thus simply holding the hammer back by the weight
of the sticker.

	It was 200-250 cents flat...............................  It's now just
100 cents flat, and there's a chance the pins will hold.........

	Anyone worked on one of these?  Any special words of "wisdom" for
regulating such a little beastie?

	Thanks,

les bartlett
houston-

	I have to go back, like it or no, because without even asking me, the
customer made his check out for more than twenty dollars above what I
billed........  I prefer this way to the feeling I'm overcharging....

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]