Backscale design... Del, anyone?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:49:24 -0400

In a post back on 4/23, Del wrote:

"Especially in short pianos the back
scale length is nearly as important as the speaking length.  Sometimes =
more so."

I've been wondering if anyone, Del, Ron, or anyone who has a knowledge =
of scale design would like to pick up on this.   Is this referring to =
the length of string between the rear bridge pin and the hitch pin that =
often speaks in the treble end of the piano?  I've rebuild an old Mason =
& Hamlin with the 'half round' aliquots in the rear duplex scale, and =
tuned each one to perfection... very sweet sound.  Is that what you were =
referring to, Del?

Is it also important to have the sections of strings that we often mute =
(the part of the string between the rear bridge pin and the hitch pin of =
the wound bass strings for example) in some type of proportional =
relationship to the length of the speaking length of the string?  (I =
sure hope that came out right.  I've never asked this question before!)  =
Would that be a possible reason to actually shorten the speaking length =
of an already short bass string?

I'm reaching here... having trouble with the words...

Any thoughts?  Are ya up for another 'lesson' Del?  Inquiring minds just =
couldn't help but ask! :-)

Thanks,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.