Rendering, et al

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:35:21 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/1999 12:40:33 PM, Jim H wrote:

<<"I have the agraffe bit and the round abrasive cord, etc. However, I also
have the same problem Ron's describing on a NEW, large, famous piano.">>

Jim;
  The cord is for working with the agraffe in the piano.....if the agraffe is
out of the piano I would go with the bit.
 Being a "large,famous" name is meaningles in this regard and in some cases
is an indicator of problems extant. There was a period of time where you
could look at the agraffes and see where they were actually twisted at the
string holes to get the thingee lined up 'close' to square.
 If the 'pip squeak gremlins' are there and exihbiting themselves as a
grating/racheting noise...and I have heard what you are talking about... the
holes the thing, babee. (or the string, or the brass itself :)
  If you want to remove the agraffe that's fine, if not the cord will tell
you loads of stuff and possibly solve your problem.  If you decide to use the
cord use a little light cutting oil, in this case WD40 will work just fine,
and buff in a fan shaped pattern across the top of the hole say 20 degrees
either side of vertical.
 Be sure and clean up any splattered WD40, or whatever you use, reinstall the
string(s) and see what happens................(a paper shield saves clean up
time)

 Wouldn't it be neat if agraffes were made of porous bronze and we could add
Super Duper lubricant through the tops?  :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)