Too much glue talk, what ever happened to reaming and re-pinning.?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 11 May 1999 05:12:25 -0400

Hmm. You may be on to something here, Steve. Has anyone ever tried ground
black pepper as a cure for loose tuning pins? I admit that of all the
things I've tried, I left this one out!

Seriously, I've noticed that when something new or unique is presented,
there are those who take to the idea like ducks to water, while others want
more emperical data before changing earlier, often hard-learned methods.
Depending on the subject, I can personally belong to either camp. In any
case, extended intial discussions often prove or dispel theories before
they become "gospel".

Take for example, the recent thread about vertigris being a fungus.
Everyone learned and had a few laughs at the same time. Likewise, had there
been more dialogue on WD-40 after it was "discovered", we might have more
uncontaminated piano actions with us today. Finally, there's the more
recent spin-off discussion about syringing, spritzing versus adding no
accellerator to CA. It appears that less humid areas of the country require
some assistance by the use of accellerator. I'd rather read about it here
than discover this on my own.

BTW, my results with epoxy was on a par with using a hickory drumstick as a
pinblock plug, from both a net torque standpoint as well as the feel of the
pin in the block. Those were the best results. The other experiments and
lesser results I don't like to talk about!

At 03:21 PM 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>  This to me seems like the equivalent of the old Radiator STOP-LEAK stuff
>that eventually makes a mess and is not a real fix.  C/A seems fine , if you
>are up to NO.7 pins, with no where to go.  I dont hear much talk about the
>fill-the-hole-with-epoxy-and redrill-technique either.  some thoughts from ,
>Steve Williams, MN

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.