Rendering, et al

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:52:49 EDT

Ron, David, List:

Related questions:

1:  Hex core bass string wire.  Some hold to the virtues of this wire over
round wire.  In the pianos I service with this wire, there is just the sound
that you are talking about - a rendering noise coming from the agraffes -
which I have attributed to the hex wire.  First:  is hex core wire superior
to regular core wire in scale design or performance, and if so, why?  Second,
is hex wire damaging to the agraffe (or does it create problems at the
agraffe) to the extent we would not want to use it?

I have usually found hex core wire on European pianos, often with the steel
post in the agraffe.  I have assumed that in the bass, especially on a large
piano, the imperfections at the agraffe are not as important.  Am I wrong?

2.  Agraffes with a forward rest.  I regularly service a Feurich 7' with this
type of agraffe - the forward rest creates an angle to the string, a
termination in front of the holes and above the holes at a tight angle.
Strings rest on this forward termination.  Sometimes used on European
verticals also.  Frequently tuned in a recital hall.  Did not need
restringing for over 10 years of constant use, and only then began breaking
strings in the non-agraffe area primarily, as usual.  Agraffe seems to be
provide excellent termination.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< What we're talking about with the agraffes is
 more of a squeak as you move the pin back and forth. You can also feel it in
 the hammer.
  Ron  >>