Rendering, et al

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 11 May 1999 17:25:54 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Bill,

>Ron, David, List:
>
>Related questions:
>
>1:  Hex core bass string wire.  Some hold to the virtues of this wire over
>round wire.  In the pianos I service with this wire, there is just the sound
>that you are talking about - a rendering noise coming from the agraffes -
>which I have attributed to the hex wire.  First:  is hex core wire superior
>to regular core wire in scale design or performance, and if so, why? >Second,
>is hex wire damaging to the agraffe (or does it create problems at the
>agraffe) to the extent we would not want to use it?

* Is this hex core, or pentagonal? I've seen lots of pentagonal core wrapped
strings (mostly "universal" replacements), but never hex, that I recall. I
thought it was because the bend angle at the edges isn't sharp enough with
six sides (60), but it is with five (72). Unqualified opinions, since I
haven't done any R&D to support them - I think the non-round core is to keep
the wrap tight, but I think it would screw up the agraffe for the same
reason. The corners bite into softer metals. I can't imagine any acoustic
advantage of hex or pentagonal wire over round. The round stuff works quite
dependably without adding undesirable side effects.

>I have usually found hex core wire on European pianos, often with the steel
>post in the agraffe.  I have assumed that in the bass, especially on a large
>piano, the imperfections at the agraffe are not as important.  Am I wrong?

* From what I've seen, that's correct. String termination gets more
critical, and termination caused noises get worse, as the strings get shorter.

>2.  Agraffes with a forward rest.  I regularly service a Feurich 7' with this
>type of agraffe - the forward rest creates an angle to the string, a
>termination in front of the holes and above the holes at a tight angle.
>Strings rest on this forward termination.  Sometimes used on European
>verticals also.  Frequently tuned in a recital hall.  Did not need
>restringing for over 10 years of constant use, and only then began breaking
>strings in the non-agraffe area primarily, as usual.  Agraffe seems to be
>provide excellent termination.
>
>Bill Shull
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University
>Loma Linda, CA

* Interesting. I've got a handful of these things in a drawer somewhere,
detritus from tuners estates past, but I haven't seen them in a piano. It
seemed like a good idea though.

 Ron