Key rebushing

John Hartman pianocraft@sprintmail.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 21:42:02 -0400

Ken,

I  have been using a technique to deal with this problem for some time.
I mill a dado across the bottom of all the keys about 1/16" by 7/16"
with a carbide dado head on the table saw. Originally I used a router
installed in a table for this job but this resulted in less than
satisfactory results. The wood would tear out on one side on the key as
the bit exited. The dodo cutter does a perfect job. I have made a
sliding jig to index and safely hold each key as it is milled. I know
that many people use the router for similar action work but I have found
that the table saw is indispensable for all types of key work as well as
other action related jobs.

I now prefer to use Leather to bush the front mortises. I have been
using goat skin and find that I can thickness in to fit mortises of
various dimensions. I have reverted to the Spurlock type of coals for
this to allow me to make adjustments by using thicker leather on one
side of the mortise. Many times front mortises can be erratic in size
due to over easing . I made my own coals with extra wide shoulders. This
allows the extension of the leather further across the dato (thanks to
Ted Sambel for this idea). I find there is less problems with the
bushings coming unglued this way.

Even though you didn't ask I no longer re-bush the key buttons. I
replace them with new hard quarter sawn maple buttons.

John Hartman