Restringing in the home

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Thu, 13 May 1999 21:29:26 -0400

Hello Tom.

Long time no hear from you.....

How is everything. I think you changed your e-mail.

> I've been asked to restring a 1972 Hamburg Steinway "B" and a 1921 NY
> Steinway "L" in the customer's home.

In my opinion, I would not do it at customers house,

By what you write Steinway B 1921 w/very loose pins, it definitely sounds as
pinblock change, I would not risk such an old pinblock. The 1974 model could
go for repining, but not if pins look too loose.

> The pianos both have very loose pins, and the wire has lost its resilience
> and tone (plain and wound strings). The instruments don't stay in tune for
> any appreciable length. Both have original tuning pins.

I always consider another factor, which is humidity. Before repining, I
lower humidity level under 42% ( 35-38%) it is not enough to crack the wood,
but at that level when you get a good grip, they will work fine anywhere
else. also the moment pinblock is dry enough you will notice if two measures
up are enough.

> Should I go up to a 4/0 pin, or will a 3/0 suffice? How do I make the
> determination?

I always go 2 numbers up when repining

> Any recommendations about tuning pins? I like the Japanese ones in Yamaha,
> but would they work in the Steinway blocks?

I used them, they do work, and they are excellent.

> Pin driving fluid? Source, or if make-it-myself, what is a good formula?

Never used it, Normally I just put a drop of varnish on the tip of the pin
before driving it in

> I assume that damper felts will need to be replaced. Is this true? Cut my
> own, or precut from S&S?

I would go for S & S precut. Definitely change damper felts when restringing

> The actions will need regulation; the hammers will need filing and
voicing.

> Anything to look out for given the new wire?

I have been using Roslau wire for Steinway with very good results

Good Luck

> Thank you in advance for any replies or comments.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tom Sheehan
> RPT - NYC Chapter

Elian Degen

Piano Tuner and Technician, Caracas, Venezuela
Phone/Fax:  58-2-7308547 / Cel:   58-14-9222981
e-mail:  degen@telcel.net.ve    ICQ#: 5447268 **