Ron, bass bridge undercutting... Ron & Del

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 13 May 1999 13:05:45 -0400

The sb press I devised last year does a good job of reglueing ribs
without the need for screws.

It entails a wooden i-beam and spring loaded plungers for pressure.
The board is supported from underneath so as not to push the crown
(if any  :-) out.  It's good for bridge caps as well.

A jpg is available.

Jon Page

At 08:30 AM 5/13/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
>> ....  I'd say keep it simple and glue it down, which brings up another
>> point. I've always wondered why rebuilders seem to want to glue bridges
down
>> with clamp pressures that exceed the crush point of the panel. I've always
>> just glued with Titebond and clamped them on with one screw and a
soundboard
>> button between each rib along the length of the bridge, with an auxiliary
>> clamp at the extreme treble of the long bridge for luck until the glue
>> dries. No dowels through ribs, or other odd constructions, underneath.
>> Haven't had one drop off yet. What do you other installers of bridges out
>> there do?

>Ditto.  Especially, the part about no dowels through the ribs.
>
>I've long wondered about the practice of putting a screw and/or a dowel
through
>the rib and into the soundboard.  True, in the case of the compression
crowned
>soundboard the rib is fighting the formation and maintenance of crown.
But in

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net