Sandblasting Revisited (I SEE THE LIGHT!)

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 May 1999 13:20:28 EDT

It just occurred to me that as long as we discuss sandblasting piano actions,
some poor sot is going to think it is all right to blast with sand!

Better, perhaps, would be to let language work in our favor, and the
customer's,  by referring to "Shell blasting actions" or even the weaker "
Blasting actions" and just leave "sand" out of the vocabulary and the action.

For technicians concerned with every hemisemidemiquaver in tuning, this
change in verbal behavior might not be too great a problem.

On the other hand, I have been hitting this piano all day with my "tuning
hammer" and it still doesn't sound any better!

Bill Simon
Phoenix

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<<These statements appear to indicate that sand or glass beads are acceptable
media for blasting actions. They are not!

On old chairs and wrought iron fences, well - why not?  But no decent
mechanic would suggest that one bead blast around even sealed bearings that
will remain in place, and it amazes me that anyone would suggest using  blast
materials  that produce highly abrasive dust on actions with all their
delicate centers.

For clarity. I suggest action blasting be done with ground and graded almond
shells, available from sandblast suppliers.  Called "Shellblast", this
material can be re-used for years and will not harm the action as sand or
glass beads will.>>