Question of Balance (rail bearings)

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 May 1999 14:48:31 -0600

>Kevin S. Riggs posted:
>...I was hopeful that someone could
>give me a heads up of problems I may encounter.

You might have to sand some of the bottoms of the balance rail bearings to
achieve proper key height and levelness.  You are going to need a variety
of paper shims

>Also, how much time
>should I expect installation and adjustments to take. It is my personal
>piano so the time doesn't really matter, just curious...

Since time doesn't matter, plan on quite a while to remove the old, install
the new, re-establish keyheight, level the keys, adjust the capstan screws.
And since you're going to be in there, you might check the key bushings for
proper fit and vacuum the keybed area as well.  This is as good a time as
any.

By the time you're done with all this, you will have an excellent idea of
how long it takes for you to replace a set of balance rail bearings in your
Steinway piano.

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician