Restringing in the home

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 May 1999 18:23:27 EDT

<< Dear List -

 I've been asked to restring a 1972 Hamburg Steinway "B" and a 1921 NY
 Steinway "L" in the customer's home.

The first suggestion is to see if there is a way you can restring the pianos
in your shop, or someone else's shop. Stringing is a noisy and time consuming
operation. By the time you charge the customer for driving to her house,
getting everything out, putting things away when you are not working on her
pianos, etc,  you can pay a mover to move the pianos both ways. Also, is she
going to allow you to work any time you want, evenings and weekends? When I
used to have my rebuilding shop next to my house, I did my rebuilding during
the time of day I couldn't tune pianos. And lastly, with such a big project,
what happens if you should make a mistake. Wouldn't it be better if you don't
have to under constant surveilance?

 The pianos both have very loose pins, and the wire has lost its resilience
 and tone (plain and wound strings). The instruments don't stay in tune for
 any appreciable length. Both have original tuning pins.

 Should I go up to a 4/0 pin, or will a 3/0 suffice? How do I make the
 determination?
 Any recommendations about tuning pins? I like the Japanese ones in Yamaha,
 but would they work in the Steinway blocks?
 Pin driving fluid? Source, or if make-it-myself, what is a good formula?

It sound like the pianow need a new pin block. But that is major work.
However, if you are limited in that field, (if you can't move the piano out
of her house, or you are not equipend to do that), then you will need to
repin and restring. I would go for 4/0 pins. You can buy them from Steinway,
or any supply house. I do not use pin driving fluid.

 I assume that damper felts will need to be replaced. Is this true? Cut my
 own, or precut from S&S?

Precuts from Steinway are very good, and very easy to install.

 The actions will need regulation; the hammers will need filing and voicing.
 Anything to look out for given the new wire?

Regulation is something not related to restringing, but if you need to do it,
then do what ever it takes. You do need to shape the hammers, however. But
then this is something that needs to be done when you regulate.

 Thank you in advance for any replies or comments.

You're welcome

Willem Blees

 Sincerely,

 Tom Sheehan