wire splicing

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 14 May 1999 07:38:35 -0700

pamela jenkins wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have been battleing with splicing new wire to some bass strings in an old
> console.
>
> Pam Jenkins  Associate member, Maine

Pam,

It's almost always best to splice rather than replace bass (wound)
strings rather than replace them.  It is, however, more expedient to
replace when they break at the bridge or (God forbid) the plate pin,
just because the repair is so difficult.  When the break is at the
tuning pin, the repair is easy and you can follow Reblitz.  When it is
at the agraffe, I recommend a variation on the methods described in
Reblitz and various Journal articles compiled in the PACE guide
available from the PTG home office.

Most methods require the use of two identical or mirror image bends in
the two strands to be joined.  The most common is the 180 degree type,
the main advantages of which are ease of execution and minimal wire
use.  Another, less common one is what I will call the noose bend.  The
wire does not cross over itself, but rather forms an end loop and then
returns next to its length before ending, forming a double wire for
about half an inch or less.  With the end loops bent at a 60 degree
angle, the double wire of each strand fits into the loop of the other.
As you can see, a major difference between the two types of knot is that
the former requires only a single strand of wire to go through the loop
while the latter takes a double strand.  The main disadvantages of the
second type are that it is more difficult to make and uses more length
of wire - an important consideration when the unwound length of old wire
is short (which it always is).  There are also advantages, but to
discuss them at the point would be a digression.

With that as background, I recommend the following procedure:

1.  Make a 180 loop in the exposed core of the old bass string.  The
tail should be about 1/8" long and the loop large enough for two strands
of wire to enter, but not larger.  The remaining unlooped core should be
at least 3/16" long before the windings.  If it is not, remove enough
winding until it is, but no more than necessary.

2.  Make a noose loop in your spicing wire, with the loop large enough
to fit the diameter of the wound portion of the bass string but not much
larger.  Bend the loops of both strands at a 75 degree angle (a bit
extreme, but you will need the working room).

3.  Thread the two loops together, making the splice.  Make sure BOTH
strands of the noose loop go through the 180 loop.

4.  Make sure the tuning pin is out TWO full turns.  Cut the wire about
3/4 inch shorter than you would normally.  Make ONE coil on a dummy pin,
remove it and install.  Tighten and bring up to tension.

I am deliberately leaving out a lot of details that are part of normal
splicing and restringing that you can get from Reblitz or other sources,
and of course making the wire behave requires practice, practice,
practice.  The big advantage of the noose bend in the splice wire is
that the loop does not have to be so big and it is much more forgiving
during installation.

Tell us how it goes.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA