Sostenuto headache

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 14 May 1999 22:59:35 +0200

>Greetings,
>    The Sos. tabs must be the same height.  If the sos rod is catching on
>one, that one is too high or too close.  Close you adjust with the in and
>out, high you bend the brackets, but if there is an irregular line of sos.
>tabs,  you won't be able to get things right.  Paper them down to an even
>line, and then do the rod.  ( of course, it pays to have a good damper
>regulation in place, with little or no paper under the underlevers.)
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Ed, I agree totally with you and I think the sostenuto is a problem for may
colleagues in general.
It should be a major item on piano seminars along with damping and pedaling.

On the other hand, this whole sostenuto thing is an almost unneccessary pain
because who uses it anyway? except but for a very few modern music
composers?

Friendly greetings from,

Antares