'Frined' definition: was Re: Leaving

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 14 May 1999 19:09:34 -0500 (CDT)

Brian,

At 18:16 5/14/99 +0200, you wrote of Newton:

>Well I guess I haven't known you long enough to be a friend but a "frined"
sounds cool.

Well maybe, maybe knot. You have to consider the source.

The etymology of that word "frined" is, like it's most recent user, old,
fraught with confusion and open to heated conjecture.

Frined:

1.)FRIND' - n/v a/to Brake  - Corruption of frein (Fr), or freno (It,Sp) brake.
  Newton may have meant this since we all are stopped at home, while he is
terrorizing everyone on Interstate 80 between New Jersey and Nebraska, in a
vehicle with _no_ brakes. (even if he's flying)

2.) FRIN' ed - past tense of frin: to frown [archaic, rare]
  Here again, Newton is reminding us that he is on a fun trip to see
relatives, while we are at home having fun restringing and setting S&S
sostenudo tabs.

3.) FRIND' - past victim [exceedingly rare] past tense of frond; a type of
leaf - In Newton's use, it describes the hapless victims of one of his
scams. Other people would say they "palmed" the money.

4.) FRIND' - strange [possible] From Ger. _fremd_; strange, foreign,
unknown. Yet another commentary on list members.

5.) frin ED' - frenetic [truncated]. Here again Newton is reminding us that
WE are working and not him.
--------
Source: Hofsommer's Dull Delapidated Decidedly Different Didactic Deniably
Deviant Dictionery
--------

>> I give you permission to have fun with my name in my absence.

Who me?

Conrad Hoffsommer     mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

Tell the truth: there's less to remember.