Undercut Bridges

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 14 May 1999 20:26:23 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:57 PM 5/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Mr. Fandrich, or anyone else out there, Isn't the "stilted"  or otherwise
vented
>bass bridge what I saw on a Bluthner grand at our local meeting a while back?
>It sounded wonderful to me!  Clark Sprague

Hi Clark,
Del's apparently  deep in the R&D dungeon and hasn't yet learned that "he
has mail", but perhaps I can help. I don't know the Bluthner personally, but
the generalities are pretty universal (with apologies for the glaring
redundancy). There are a whole bunch of factors that determine how a piano,
or any particular section in a given piano sounds. The tunnels under the
bridge are the design part you can see, but aren't necessarily what makes
the piano sound as good as it did. In the grand scheme of interaction
between (among?) the various design parameters including string scaling,
panel thickness, grain orientation, rib configuration, bridge placement, rim
contour, etc, etc, the drive through bass bridge mount may actually make a
difference in the sound, and it may actually be an audible difference, but
there are a lot of other factors that would most probably make a bigger
difference if they were changed. This is the kind of situation where magic
would come in handy. If we could instantly toggle back and forth between
full surface and intermittent contact mounting systems and listen for the
difference, we could answer the question pretty quickly. I keep looking,
hopefully, but I don't find the option in any of the catalogs. That being
the case, we have to assign probability values, based on logic, physics, and
empirical experience. Again, with apologies, let me put you in the
designer's position for a moment. Listening to the piano, could you tell
that it was the bridge mounting system that made the piano sound good, as
opposed to any other set of design parameters? How?
 Ron