Steinway regulation

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 15 May 1999 15:10:26 -0400

Hi Larry,

Are you sure the dip _should_ be 13/32?

What I'm driving at, and maybe another Steinway type person can pick up on
this,...

Some of the Steinways that were made in the era of which you speak had
actions that were intended to have a shallow key dip, compared to others
before and since.  I'm thinking that's what they referred to as the
'accelerated action'.  I could be wrong.  I've not spent that much time with
these particular actions.  Many (most? all?) of them also have teflon
bushings in the centers, which can be a whole other can of worms.

But these actions were different.  They played differently, they were
regulated differently, they 'felt' different.  I never particularly liked
them, but I know of people who just love them, don't want to play anything
else.

If this is indeed one of the accelerated actions', you will not likely ever
achieve a regulation in the way you're looking for without parts
replacement.  That's not necessarily bad.  It's just different.

Please, some of you more experienced here, chime in any time.

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.