para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sat, 15 May 1999 17:03:21 -0400

To my way of thinking, there is nothing very mysterious about
inharmonicity readings that fail to follow the theoretical
formula (proportional to the square of the partial number).
This theory is based on assumptions about an ideal string -
for example, that the string be perfectly uniform along its length
(both dimensionally and metalurgically), and that the termination
points be absolutely rigid and without lead-in bends.  If anything
is surprising it is that, given all the imperfections of real
strings in pianos, the inharmonicity conforms to theory as well
as it does.

One facet of this problem that does not get much attention is
the process of measuring inharmonicity itself.  The assumption
is implicitly made that the cents offset for each partial is a
well-defined quantity that can be measured as accurately as
desired.  This is far from true.

Let's look at the ways in which inharmonicity can be measured.
If you use an Accu-Tuner, then the measurement of each partial
is dependent on the user's ability to judge when the lights
are stopped.  Let's be honest.  Those lights never stop.  All
strings are wild to some extent.  What do you do if the lights
seem to drift very slowly to the right, then, just before the
sustain dies out, the pattern makes a sudden shift to the position
it was in at the start of the note?  This is exactly what can
happen with a slightly wild string.  You could say that since the
pattern started and stopped at the same place, the overall
movement was zero, so the lights are effectively "stopped".
But is this interpretation the only one?  What if the sustain
was slightly shorter and the display goes out just before you
can see the jump back to the original postion?  Then you would
be justified in saying that the SAT needs to be raised in
pitch to match the string.  But does it really make sense that
there are two incompatible interpretations of the same string?

You could also use a computer program like Dean's or mine to
measure inharmonicity.  I can't speak for Dean, but my measurement
algorithm is based on criteria that are just a bit arbitrary.
(If you really want to discuss peak-finding in the Fourier
transform, e-mail me privately.)

In 1993 I wrote an article for the Journal that described what I
thought was the ultimate in accuracy for measuring inharmonicity.
I would eliminate the sustain as a limiting factor in the
measurement process.  Instead of striking the string and analyzing
the sound as it dies out, I would inject a small continuous excitation
in the form of a pulsating electro-magnet held near the string.  Then
I would measure the strength of the response of the string optically.

The pulsing frequency of the exciting electro-magnet was very
slowly swept across the region for each partial.  At each new
frequency I waited until the response had stabilized before I measured
it (sometimes taking as long as 30 seconds at each micro-increment
of frequency).  The whole process was automated so I could leave
the room.  It might take 30 minutes to measure one string.  But
I would get measurements as accurate as I wanted, right?

Wrong!  Although I could control the exciting frequency to any
precision needed, and although I could measure response at each
frequency as accurately as I wanted, the graph of response as a
function of frequency did not always have one nice neat peak.
On strings with audible false beats, the response curves had at
least two completely separate peaks. (These peaks were separated
by a frequency difference which was, not coincidently, the same
as the false beat rate.) Even on "good" strings, the response
curve did not define the peak frequency any less ambiguously
than what you can get with the traditional (percusive) methods.

So perhaps the problem is not with the measurement method, but
is in the definition of the quantity being measured.  The
ambiguity is built-in.  When you get different FAC readings for
the same piano, don't assume that something in the piano
changed.  Maybe nothing changed.

I would also like to comment on Ken's explanation of how
taking into account para-inharmonicity can supposedly make a
better tuning. Although I agree that the more inharmonicity
readings the better, I don't think the deviations from the theory
can in themselves be used constructively.  Let me explain:

Unless you take inharmonicity readings of all 88 notes, there are
going to be some notes that you do not measure, but you still have
to tune them.  Somehow, the measurements that you do make are
assumed to correlate with measurements that you did not make.
Thus, a little predictive theory is built up whenever a tuning
curve is generated.  Maybe it's not identical to the general theory,
but it is a theory just the same.  But do the "deviant" measurements
apply?  That is, if I measure one deviant inharmonicity on one string
in one piano, what are the chances that all the other strings of that
piano are also deviant in a similar manner?  Well, that depends on the
deviation.  If it was caused by an accident of stringing, then I would
not expect to gain much useful information about the rest of that
piano from that one string.  In fact, I would be tempted to throw
away that reading and measure a different, more representative string.

The best use that I think can be made of more inharmonicity readings
is to stick with a theory that represents most of the strings and
use the multiple inharmonicity readings to average out the
measurement errors on individual readings.  This is what I see as
the main benefit of ETDs that use more inharmonicity samples.
The SAT is vulnerable to a single bad reading because so much
depends on each of the FAC numbers.  I think what experienced SAT
users must do is filter all FAC numbers through their own
judgement of what is reasonable for the particular piano.  That
way they can recognize a bad reading and take corrective action,
sometimes manually adjusting the FAC numbers from their original
measured values.  RCT and TuneLab rely more on redundant measurements
to achieve the higher level of confidence in the readings.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties