para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sun, 16 May 1999 09:31:14 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

>How about useing a bandpass filter set to around the frequency
>of the partial you are trying to narrow in on in line between the pick-up
>and an amplifier, then returning the resulting sound to the soundboard via
>a contact transducer. Good old fashioned feedback, but a bit more
>controlled ? Is is possible to "drive" a partial in this manner ??  Dont
>laugh too loud now guys.. after all I am still just an egg in these
>matters..

The problem with what you describe is that your bandpass filter /
feedback combination now becomes part of the resonant system.  Thus
the resonant frequency will be affected (i.e. "pulled") by the
filter tuning.  You will no longer be measuring something that is
purely representative of the piano.

In the studies I have done, the strength of the partial is not a
limitation (unless you are trying to measure inharmonicity in the
presence of high background noise).  And if a partial is really
really weak, who cares what its frequency is?  No one will hear
it.

-Robert Scott
 Ann Arbor, Michigan