My answer to you about Steinway regulation

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 May 1999 16:13:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/1999 2:19:07 PM, Andre wrote:

<<"To me, it seems, that when a colleague asks for advice about the regulation
of a Steinway, he/she obviously doesn't have enough experience
yet">>

Andre;
 I don't think anyone said you were wrong in recommending the S&S Regulation
manual/specifications either to a newbie or an old hand.........I think what
almost everyone was trying to say was something like 'if regulating to the
"specifications" will not allow the action to work correctly..... don't stick
to them'.

  I  had a call from a 'newbie', several years ago, with regulation problems
on a S&S vertical and he said that "all" was exactly at specs (questionable
statement) and the action just didn't 'feel' right and he was hunting for
suggestions/solutions.  Nothing I suggested was 'exactly' according to
factory specs and the piano plays nicely.

  By all means we should all start with book in hand or the "specs" in mind
but when, or if, they don't work we should all follow the axiom of:
 "if it don't work, don't do it that way"

Jim Bryant (FL)