Termites!

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:35:41 -0600

On Tue, 18 May 1999 21:17:26 EDT JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:

>In a message dated 5/18/1999 4:00:17 PM, you wrote:
>
><<"my hand pushed the sanding block right into the rim - no wood
>present
>under the veneer - thanks to those little buggers.  IOW those things
>CAN be
>really
>destructive. btw the instrument had been brought here from
>*Florida*.">>
>
>Nah those probably aren't/weren't "termites" they probably were
>"Powder Post
>beetles". We breed them by crossing fleas from swamp cats and Formosan
>
>termites :-)  A hall mark of PPB infestation is "cored out" wood and
>round
>"droppings".  Usually termites do not core out wood ...
>Jim Bryant (FL)

OK, OK, OK, so I'm not an expert on termites - what do you expect from
someone who lives in Montana??
:-)))  I do know of a S&S L that does have a lot of body filler in it,
however.  I also have a feeling that the many coats of lacquer that piano
received probably "cooked" the termite's or PPB's little minds.
btw. What else do you cross breed down there? :-)

John Fortiner
Billings, MT.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]