Message Index?

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 18 May 1999 23:50:03 -0500

Loftune@AOL.COM wrote:

> Yes! I'd love to set up a separate file for Pianotech (and other groups for
> that matter!) but I can't seem to find anything on my screen that corresponds
> with Rob's directions. Is this because I have a Macintosh?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

 Ok, well the first problem is you have a Mac....  (okay, okay- I'll stop).

Seriously--   I'm using Netscape but I think Explorer works pretty much the same,
(I've used both).  When you open up the window for your mail (i.e. the window you
should be looking at now), there are typically a serious of tiny folder icons in
a small divided frame at the top left corner.  These should begin with "inbox" or
some such thing.  If you don't see this then you likely have the "veiw"
preferences set differently.  On most of the later versions there are little line
tabs that you can click on which will pop open the various hideable frames.
Trust me- it's there somewhere, hiding or otherwise.  When you find it right
click on the top of the tiny "inbox" folder icon and select "new folder" or "new
sub-folder" or whatever it says depending on the version you are using. A new
folder will apper in the list of folders somewhere below the "inbox".  Scroll
down the list if need be, but you should see it pretty quick.  Next re-name the
folder to something appropriate, (i.e. "pianotech").  All you have really done
here is created a second inbox specially named for pianotech messages.  Next
Click and pull down the "edit" taskbar menu and select "preferences", (again this
may vary depending on your browser/version, etc.).  Once in preferences you will
find a selection for filters.  You will want to direct all mail received from
"pianotech@ptg.org" to go to the new folder you created.  I won't go into how to
do this because it should be pretty self explainitory when you see it.  Click on
"help" if you need to.  The end result of course is that all of the incoming
pianotech mail will end up in that folder.  When you want to read your pianotech
messages just click on the new folder and there you go.  All your other regular
mail will land in your regular inbox.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you beyond hope.

Rob Goodale, RPT