The Piano Garage

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Wed, 19 May 1999 22:57:04 -0600

>From Sy Zabrocki
Many schools and institutions build a garage to store and lock up their
grand piano. It is usually a wooden cubicle with some kind of door locked
with a padlock. The idea is to prevent unauthorized persons from using the
piano and to prevent vandalism.

That's all well and good but in many cases the piano is still damaged when
shoving the piano in the garage. Custodians, students and whoever repeatedly
carelessly ram the piano in hitting it on all sides. The obvious answer
would be heavy padding on all sides of the shed. A heavy quilted pad over
the piano would help but only if the piano was moved carefully. The casters
always want to go south when you want them to go north.

I worked in a school this week where the ebony piano suffered incredible
damage in this situation.

Maybe when I retire I'll design and build for sale the mother of all piano
sheds.

Sy Zabrocki