Steinway flange rail cloth

dporritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:32:41 -0500

Charles:

There have been threads on this in the past.  You might want to check the
archives.  Personally, I like something there, name board felt, Steinway's
rail felt, sandpaper something.  However, I don't think this is really a big
deal.  Since steinway's magic rail makes it more difficult to space hammers,
I like something covering that slick brass.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Texas
dporritt@swbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Charles E Faulk
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 2:02 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Steinway flange rail cloth

A question to the list:

I recently started a restoration of a 1960's Steinway B here at Kansas
State. Unfortunately it's a second generation restoration so some of the
action dimensions are questionable. My one quandary is the absence of the
sticky black hammer flange cloth. I know I could simply call Steinway and
order the part (costs about $2.00); however I've heard of technicians
using nameboard felt as a substitute. Or I could simply dispense with the
cloth altogether, as my predecessor did.

Any opinions out there on the subject?

Regards,

Charles Faulk, RPT
Manhattan, KS
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]