Hardman Grand

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 20 May 1999 17:34:30 EDT

Avery,

I've been involved with two 5'8" or so Hardmans, one from the 20's and one
from the 1890's.  The first, with a modern style cabinet, was restrung w/new
hammers by a local dealer I tuned for 15 years ago.  Big sound except the
killer octave area.  Reminded me of a Baldwin R.

I rebuilt one 5 years ago fro the 1890's.  Full-fit mortised block, did not
replace.  Victorian cabinet.  Big sound, except killer octave area (was
pretty careful not to overload board too).  Good sound in living room, but
not quite enough mid-treble for the banquet room it is in.  WN&G action
(reburbished wippens,  replaced shanks and flanges).  Still, client likes
piano.

I am not sure if Aeolian stenciled your 5'2" piano like so many others in
that size range, or not.  If so, it should look Aeolian and have their
action, right?

American Institute of Piano Technology has a 9' Hardman for sale....Probably
a great piano properly rebuilt.

Bill Shull

<<   Does anyone know anything specific about the Hardman grands? It seems
 to be a fairly well-made piano, 5'2" or so. It has agraffes through the
 bass and middle sections, although they don't line up with the strings.
 They sort of correspond to the curve in the plate right in front of them,
 turned a little to the left.
    It has 3 support beams underneath the soundboard, running parallel (at
 an angle) to the length of the piano and a substantial looking plate.
 There's even a soundboard decal and a music lyre which looks like it was
 cast into the plate.
    The serial # is 94636, so according to Pierce, that's early 1931. Is
 that before the name was sold to Aeolian?
    There is one difference I've never seen before. The action shifts to
 the left instead of the right. Any particular reason for this?
    I wasn't even aware the school had this piano until a couple of weeks
 ago because it was in a faculty members' home. He moved and no longer had
 room for it, so here it is. :-)
    I'll probably restring and recondition, with new hammers and shanks and
 put it in a practice room. Strings are pretty dead and hammers are also
 pretty bad. Originally a fairly 'fat' looking hammer. Cold-pressed? What
 might be a comparable current hammer for it in weight and sound?
    Just looking mostly for general info if anyone has it. Possibly someone
 has rebuilt one of these? Any information appreciated. Thanks.

 Avery