repair bridge

Chunping Ding cding@att.com
Fri, 21 May 1999 08:40:35 -0400

Hi, everybody.

I am new in piano technician team. My first major task is to repair a
seriously cracked base bridge of my upright piano. One fourth of the
pins are loose. I would like to re-cap the bridge. Firstly, I would like
to take the bridge off the sound board. I tried to put vinegar between
the bridge and the bridge apron (shelf). However, I failed to dissolve
the glue. Does anyone know any more powerful dissolvent? Or do I have to
use some special vinegar (I used my cooking vinegar)? Or is there any
hidden screw between the bridge and the apron? Then I tried to dissolve
the glue between the apron and the sound board. I failed again. Could
someone give me some hints on how to take the bridge off?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Chunping