repair bridge

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:16:32 -0700 (MST)

Hi Chunping:

Many pianos have about 3 screws which are applied from underneath the apron.
It would be necessary to remove the entire bridge assembly to get to these
screws. There are usually screws going from the back side of the soundboard
through soundboard buttons into the apron. These must first be removed. The
vinegar should work if the piano is an old upright piano which used animal
glue. The modern glues would probably not work with vinegar or even acetic
acid. Heat and a sharp chisel might help. Sometimes, just a large hammer
works.

Jim Coleman, Sr.