What the...??

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 21 May 1999 20:20:38 +0200

List

Just ran into a rebuilt hamburg B. It has this really strange quality of
sound. Starting with the first unwound string, and continuing up about
to c6 there is this extremely loud and annoying... how shall I describe
it.. "WOWAAaaaaaaa" sort of beat. It cycles once, encompases all
partials and disapears. I tried taping the bridge, bottoming bridge
pins, etc. and no difference.. Running a roller along the length of the
string seemed to quite it a bit for a few minutes, but then it returns
full strenght..

Any ideas what this is about ?

Thanks for the tips fellows. Undfortunatly it doesnt seem to have
anything to do with loose plate bolts, nosebolts, or foreign objects on
the board. I checked all that today the only bolt I could turn at all
was the nose, and it didnt want to turn much at all. I did notice today
dinking around with it a bit that if you took  a rather blunt
straightslot skrewdriver and layed it almost flat on the strings, and
lightly tap the bridge pins in the direction of the hitch pins, the
noise disapeared. Now I only did this on a couple strings. I loosened
one of those then to see if perhaps the bridge pins were loose, but no
again.. So you got me. It definantly sounds like a beat, really really
slowish, kinda like a cats meow. Sounds just once for almost every
unwound string up to around c6. Makes tuning the unisons a real mother.
I is mystified..

Richard Brekne