repair bridge

Chunping Ding cding@att.com
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:26:53 -0400

Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for your kind advice. I eventually removed the bridge and
its apron from the soundboard. I found some old bridge from  another piano, and
put it back to my piano. However, the volume of the sound is very small. I
guess the reasons for this may be:

1. I did not use glue between the bridge and the sourdboard. (Because I am no
so sure about the positions of the bridge and the pins etc. I would like to
play with the new bridge). However, I do not understand why do we need to put
glue between the bridge and the sound board? I think that the pressure from the
strings are strong enough to stick the bridge on the board.

2. The contact between the bridge and the sound board are not smooth. When I
take the bridge off the soundboard. The soundboard are slightly damaged. I hope
after I apply glue between the soundboard and the bridge, the sound will be
better.

3. Using the new bridge, the speaking lengths of the strings are smaller.

The heights of the new bridge is the same as the old one.

Hopefully, after I apply glue, the sound volume will be increased.

Any advice,

THank you again,

Chunping