Steinway Key Bushings

Mon, 24 May 1999 07:46:11 -0700

Stan Kroeker wrote:

> Just happen to be rebushing a badly mistreated set of Steinway keys.  Older
> model (angled capstans) that was rebushed recently (by someone else) using
> plastic resin glue.  Of course, this type of glue does not re-hydrate but
> rather turns into a bubble-gum-like mess when steamed.  Removing these
> bushings damages the mortices which are now so wide only the thickest
> bushing cloth works with the 0.162 (balance) and 0.146 (front) cauls.  The
> front mortice shoulders are completely gone.
>
> Anyone ever reconstruct damaged key mortices?  Is quality key button
> material available for this size of keypin?  I presume the piano would be
> worth the cost of attempting this.

Stan,

I've never figured out any way of actually 'repairing' damaged key mortises.  I
have, however, replaced them.

With a simple jig on the table saw and using an appropriate dado set you simply
cut out the old and replace it with trimmed down key button stock.

First you make a tool to index the new material to.  This consists of a piece
of wood perhaps 30 x 15 x 150 mm with a protrusion that fits the original
fairly snugly.  Offset from this protrusion and in line with it two bridge pins
with the pointy side sticking out just enough to indent the wood on either side
of the original mortise.  Put the protrusion into the original mortise and tap
it lightly with a hammer placing (hopefully) two marks in the key that you will
use in aligning the new bushing.  You can do it with just one indent, but you
have to be some careful.

Now you cut out the original bushing on the table saw using the above mentioned
jig.  This cut will be 25 mm wide by just as deep as your new key button
stock.  Trim the keybutton stock to 25 mm wide.  Using another alignment tool
similar to the above only with a smaller protrusion to fit the new undamaged
bushings align them to your indent marks on the keys and glue into place.  Trim
to fit.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.  It works well, though.  The
problem is finding key button stock that has the right size bushing opening.
Your can either make these yourself -- not difficult using an overarm router
and a simple sliding table -- or try purchasing them from someone already set
up for it.  I'd try Rick Wheeler in Portland (actually, Milwaukee), Oregon.  I
don't have his number handy right now, but he's in the book.

Hope this all makes sense.  If not, blame it on my lack of coffee this
morning.  I think it just got finished . . . see you later....

Regards,

Del