Stringing materials estimates (tech)

Mon, 24 May 1999 14:35:28 -0500

Roger,
At 12:28 5/24/99, you wrote for Ron's benefit:

>         If you allow for 2lbs to 3lbs of music wire you will be in the
>ball park. The cost of the wire is minimal compared to bass strings, tuning
>pins, and labour.
>It would be a real hassle trying to be exact, the time spent calculating
>the amount of wire used, would pay for the wire. Therefore an exercise in
>futility.
>Regards Roger

Definite hassle, and I never itemise it - it just comes out of "supplies".

However...

I just played with my little calculator and a lot of fudge factors. If the
longest plain wire string on a concert grand is 72", the total from hitch
through becket could easily be ~90".  The shortest would be about 15".
Average 52.5" times trichord times 68 unisons is almost ==>900'<==.

Assuming 16½ ga. is the average, then at 260' per pound you'd be adding
more than 3#.

This, of course, assumes no waste. (Roofers always assume at least 10%)
YMMV. ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

"Far too noisy, my dear Mozart.  Far too many notes."
 - Emperor Ferdinand of Austria 1.5.1786