Inharmonicity

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:51:23 -0500 (CDT)

>This causes the string with a flexible termination to operate
>as though it were slightly longer than measured, and a more rigid terminal
>causes the string to operated as though it were shorter than measured.
>    I would assume that this has some bearing on relative levels of
>inharmonicity found across a piano's scale.

Now THAT'S an interesting premise. Has anyone out there compared the
theoretical inharmonicity curve from a scaling spreadsheet to the actual
inharmonicity measurements in the same piano? What DOES happen to the real
world curve at the tenor/treble break when going from the agraffe to the
front duplex termination? Does the inharmonicity drop at the start of the
duplex?

 Ron