Do Steinways appreciate?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:13:57 EDT

Several times now in the past couple of weeks, I have had customers tell me
that the Steinway dealer in town is saying that Steinways appreciate in
value. I heard there was even an article which quoted Henry Steinway as
saying Steinways appreciate in value at a rate of 10% per year.

Last week I appraised a Steinway S for a guy. He told me he paid $20,000 for
it 15 years ago, being told the piano would appreciate in value. Now he wants
to sell it to make money. But he told me last week the dealer offered him
only $13,000. So he called me to get a second opinion. I told him I might be
able to get $22,000 if I sold it out of my store, and he might be able to
sell it out of his house for about $20,000, if he advertised it a lot, and
waited. (Since the dealer offered him $13,000, I will assume he will ask
$26,000, but probably sell it for about $22,000.)

Doing the math, if Steinways really do appreciate at 10% per year, a Steinway
S bought 15 years ago for $20,000 would now be worth $82,446.  Obviously it
is not. Anyone out there wanting to give an answer to this. Do Steinways
really appreciate in value?  If so, how much? What criteria does Steinway use
to make this claim? Do Steinways appreciate more than other brands?

Curious minds want to know.

Willem Blees