It caught up with me

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 25 May 1999 21:01:58 +0200

Brian Lawson wrote:

> Hi, today I came to tune a piano which I thought I'd not see again. It is a
> modern Thurmer upright (about 120 cm) it is unique in its design in that in
> the last octave the hammer shank length increases one by one so the top A
> is about 1 1/2" higher than the rest of the hammer line. To do this the
> last octave's strings are splayed like a fan, as well as this stings in the
> treble break (which normally slant to the right) on this piano's design
> slant to the left. There are aggrafes throughout with the line in the
> treble sloping down and then up in line with the last octave.
>
> The design I can live with, but it has horible false beats in the last
> copuple of octaves and wasn't nice to tune. That I had last tuned it in
> 1985 I the then owner was going overseas but had then sold it, to todays
> customer. ho hum.
>
> Brian Lawson

Actually I have seen this in another older German make, tho I havent come
across in one for several years now. I believe it was called Neindorf, or
something like that. I seem to remember seeing this in some older Finger pianos
as well, tho I am a bit foggy on that one. The Neindorf also had some pretty
nasty false beats up there.

Richard Brekne