False Beats and Para

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 25 May 1999 21:14:12 +0200

List

Got to wondering about a few comments about the causes of para I have
read lately. This one has to do with those who think its all in the
string.

Years ago one of the lectures I attended talked about reasons for false
beats. One of the things the fellow had to say was that since partials
relate to sense string segments, and there are the same number of string
segments as the number of the partial for any given partial, false beats
will arise if one of the segments is "out of tune" with the others.

If that be true, then I wonder how para can be explained as being a
string phenomena. If a partial is lower then theoretical, then all
string segments would have to be equally flat or it would (assumeing the
above is true) show up in false beats. Since that hasnt been mentioned
at all I am assuming that isnt the case. Para has been reported as being
measured at least up to the 4th partial, so that would mean that all 4
string segments would have to be equally flat without false beats
comeing into play.

Anyone want to comment on this one ?

Richard Brekne