Squeezing Baldwin L into elevator

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 May 1999 21:03:23 EDT

<<"We're moving into a co-op in the city, and the elevator will only
accomodate my  piano (Baldwin L) if it's tipped vertically, either on its
tail end, or on its keyboard end.">>

George;
 Don't tip the thingee on the tail end.  Tipping it on the keybed end is
acceptable. I do this as a normal thing while plates are out of the piano and
occasionally when the plate is in the piano.  Before tipping the piano in an
elevator I would remove the fallboard, music rack, top and action.  This will
allow you more places to hold on to, as well as lighten the load a little.
  Take two or three moving pads, folded over a couple of times, and place on
the elevator floor. When tilting the piano on the keybed keep it square and
don't place all the weight on any corner.   A little bit of a hassle but it
will get the job done and it beats cutting the piano in half to get it in the
elevator :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)