John Broadwood grand

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 25 May 1999 20:59:36 -0400

If I were perfectly sure that the stretcher has fallen I would look as
to why.  Check for it's old location.  Some old stretchers were made
to be removed, check for screws.  The old keyblocks may be glued to
the key frame and came out with the frame so be careful there.

Consider doing a 'restoration' using as many original parts as
possible and make parts to conform to the old design.  Use the
original strings if possible or stay in touch with Steve.  He can tell
you where to get original alloy type strings.

Broadwood made excellent pianos so don't try to redesign it.

use a come-along or hoist and place a hook under the stretcher and
protect it with a thin strip of wood.  Carefully lift the piano with
the hook and see if it will move.  You can use a hammer a block of
wood to tap the rim to see if you can release the bind.

Use a little common sense and think through each move from beginning
to end.  When you remove parts label them, put the screws through the
top of a box with drawings of their locations.  Make notes off each
move you make.  This is kind of like restoring an old car.  Care and
skill count more than time.

Lots of luck.

		Newton