Key Recovering

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 26 May 1999 21:46:39 -0400

Hi all,

I've been interested in starting to do my own key recovering again.  =
Years ago, I recovered a number of sets with tops only, sometimes with =
separate fronts, but never the one piece kind.  I glued them on with =
Duco cement and sanded down the sides with a 1" belt sander.  Those were =
in the 'good old days'... (a lot of water went under the bridge since =
then...)

The last few years, I've sent sets to 4 or 5 different places that =
recover them, and the results are quite mixed.  Some do good work, some =
is not so good.

Well, now I'm interested in getting into it again, but I'm not sure what =
tools or jigs are available to assist with this job.  I know things have =
come a long way since the early '80s.  A few years ago, there was an ad =
in the Journal for the "Peterson Router Guide", and there may have been =
others, but I've not seen anything of this nature for a while. =20

If any of you are recovering your own keys, I'd be interested in how =
you're doing it.  Did you find jigs or tools already made?  Did you make =
your own?  What kinds of glue do you find work the best?  Is there an =
article in the Journal that I've missed?  I do have access to most going =
back about 10 years or so.

Thanks for your input.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout