Your Opinion Requested

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 11:15:54 -0600

Hi Joel,
	I'm pretty strong on the 243's for institutional use. There is no doubt
that they hold up. Maybe not as elegantly, but one of the things I see a
fair amount of is abuse. You know, get a couple of students to shuffle the
units around, etc. The KK's and Yamahas . . .  don't like it much. Cabinets
can be trashed on any piano, but the 243's don't loose their integrity as
easily as most of the others. I don't get to see well-used Walters, but the
ones I do see look like they might hold up as well.
	Our extremely dry climate is a factor, too. Aluminum and plastic don't
maintain structural continuity throughout the action power train, so the
actions really fall apart, or at least get clacky and out-of-regulation soon.
	 I like the actions with 4 brackets, quick-adjusting balance rails,
well-treated felts in the high-wear areas, adjustable keyslips, and of
course. . .'snug' pinblocks of the 243's. When well-trained in their youth,
these things tune up easily, voice easily, have easy access to the action
(although it's more secure and less likely to fall to vandalism), and
warranty issues are handled extremely well. For 25 years. For 25 years. Oh,
and does the school know that the warranty on the 243 is 25 years?
	 I work on many 24*'s from many years ago, (alot are blonde,ugh), that are
still going strong. Where the same venue has 10 year-old KK's and Yamahas
that are. . . in need of a complete rebuild. If not just plain used-up. For
players, the music desk/rest is very handy and sturdy. The dip and
aftertouch are sufficient and easy to change after heavy use, and the bass
has a superior structure than most other studios in that price range. Well
voiced, the bass on a 243 just sounds more... like a bass.
	I could go on more, at risk of all kinds of flames, etc, but I truly
believe that there are great places for YC's, KK's, and Yamahas.....
besides the institutional setting.
	Just my opinion. You asked.

Guy Nichols, RPT