hammer brushing

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 28 May 1999 07:41:40 -0500

Tom,

Thanks for the input

<<<I use the traditional technique of stroking toward the strike point, as
if it were a sandpaper paddle, to get rid of the crustiness in the
string cuts and, at least, try to improve the curvature of the crown. It
makes a big difference on a piano that needs to be voiced and, if they
like the result, it's easy to sell them on a proper voicing job. If they
don't like the result, the brightness/harshness will return soon enough.

Tom

Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA>>>

That is what I did as well.  I placed a vacuum hose on the hammer shanks,
resting against the hammers, to eliminate most of the felt dust.  The piano
is sounding much better, so I know there is at least some improvement.

Still learning,

John Formsma