Tilting on the lyre

DGH9442@AOL.COM DGH9442@AOL.COM
Fri, 28 May 1999 09:23:00 EDT

Ref. the above.  I work with two professional moving companies in and around
the Naples, FL area.  They frequently drop off and pick up pianos at my shop.
 Their common practice is to tilt the piano with it's treble and tail legs
and the pedal lyre attached to the piano.  They use the fulcrum of the lyre
to assist them in the maneuver of sitting the piano on the skid board, or
taking it off.  It seems to work well enough.  As long as the piano is fairly
new (one that has a metal lyre support bracket mounted on the bottom of the
keybed using machine bolts to bolt the lyre to the bracket) it seems to work
without a problem.  I have only heard of one instance where the bottom
platform of the lyre was broken.  I believe there might be a problem on older
grands where the pedal lyre is screwed directly to the keybed.

In spite of all this, I still feel somewhat uneasy when this maneuver is
performed.  My alternative, here in my shop, is to use a product "The Piano
Horse".  This device works much the same way as the standard piano truck that
is used on upright pianos.  I have used it in my shop, by myself, to stand up
grands off the skid board, and put them back on, and have had no problem.
The information on this product is available through the Piano Wrangler
Equipment Co. of Austin, TX.  The owner, and developer of the Horse in Gordon
Crail.  If you are interested, the phone number is (512) 452-6458.  The
address is 5119 Fairview Drive, Austin, TX  78731.

Dennis Hershman
Hershman Piano Service
Naples, FL